Top Ten List of What We Can Learn from the Mothers in the Bible:
– Real mothers seek, create and sustain life in the face of death, destruction and disappointment.
– Real mothers do not stop claiming what is their right—to bear a child.
– Real mothers love their people, forecast imminent danger, take steps to fight it, and serve on the front lines, ready to lay down their lives.
– Real mothers are courageous in letting their children step confidently into their future.
– Real mothers minister to others even in the midst of desperate circumstances.
– Real mothers speak up and voice their pain, especially in times of tremendous grief.
– Real mothers raise their sons and daughters to be faithful people, and to remain true to their teachings and values.
– Real mothers unleash their deepest desires at Jesus’ feet—and when seemingly rejected, persevere in pursuing healing.
– Real mothers stand up for and stand by their children and families, pursuing for them their best goal and godly vocations.
– Real mothers, sometimes, at great personal expense, say Yes to God—and the the world is transformed.
As Lindsay Hardin Freeman, author of this list and instructor of our latest course (launching Sunday) reminds us: these characteristics apply to all who serve as “mothers” — those who are biological mothers and those who aren’t. The women of the Bible are part of a “holy and sacred circle” — one that is still open.
Stay tuned for Let the Women Speak, which launches Sunday. In the meantime, check out Lindsay’s wonderful blog and books by clicking here.